Over 50 Years of Caring
It was just over 50 years ago when 30 citizens got together to start the Pitt County United Fund. The first campaign to raise money for community needs netted a whopping $89,958 and funded 12 local agencies - not bad by 1958 standards. In 1980, the organization changed its name to Pitt County United Way to align with the national organization, United Way World Wide.
Known as the United Way of Pitt County since 1991, the organization has grown in strength and stature through the years. UWPC raised $1.4 million in its 2011 campaign and invested in 18 community programs. Many changes have taken place since 1958, but one thing has stayed the same: a tradition of caring, of making Pitt County a better community for all citizens.