Position Title: Resource Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Purpose of Position:
• The position will organize and manage the United Way annual individual and workplace
campaign accounts to maximize giving and increase participation by cultivating strong
relationships with, motivating, and training volunteers in assigned divisions and accounts.
• The position will assist the Executive Director and Development Committee in generating
new and increased contributions in the area of Leadership Giving, focusing on
commitments of $1,000 and above with special attention on gifts of $10,000 and above.
Provides Professional Staff Support To:
Volunteers involved in United Way’s annual individual and workplace campaign accounts, the
Development Committee and other committees or projects as needed.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist Executive Director to envision, plan, communicate, and implement an annual United
Way development plan that incorporates short and long-term goals, campaign goals, donor
stewardship, volunteer involvement, and support of Community Impact efforts.
• Develop and institute a year-round and multiyear process of prospect research, cultivation
solicitation, gift acknowledgment and donor recognition to ensure consistent and evolving
activity and gift acquisition.
• Assist in targeting major gift acquisition efforts and expansion of organization’s donor base,
including participation in the evaluation of major gift prospects.
• Accurately forecast, monitor, and prepare reports on resource procurement from donor tracking
and other related systems.
• Prepare proposals and personalize presentations for donor prospects, solicit gifts and negotiate
• Coordinate the involvement of appropriate board, staff, and volunteers in the planning of
Management of annual campaign and workplace accounts by:
• Assisting and motivating the company’s employee campaign coordinators in planning and
completing their campaigns
• Developing account’s plan to maximize giving
• Organizing agency tours and speaker presentations for company employee campaign
• Communicate United Way’s message to potential donors, both in small and large group
• Execute the organization’s routine grant proposals with input from Community Impact & Communications Director.
• Plan, coordinate, and implement development activities and events throughout the year with Community Impact & Communications Director.
• Represent the United Way of Pitt County in various community meetings and events.
• Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
o Relationship Management: The ability to build, leverage, and maintain mutually positive relationships that provide support for and add value to United Way, its programs, and the community.
o Consultative Selling: Ability to cooperate/collaborate with donors and stakeholders to clearly define their objectives to identify solutions that solve their needs and lead to increased revenue.
o Problem Solving and Decision Making: Identifying, analyzing, organizing, and solving problems and issues in a timely, effective manner. Uses data and input from others to make sound, timely decisions even in the face of uncertainty.
o Communication: Presents ideas in a style that is clear, fluent, and to the point; keeps the attention of others; clearly articulates the key points of an issue; takes recipients’ perspectives into consideration.
o Results Orientation: The capacity to be energized and excited by challenging objectives. Strives to exceed goals set by self or others; achieves high level, sustainable performance.
o Integrity: Consistently honors commitments and takes responsibility for actions and words.
o Flexibility: Demonstrates adaptability, openness to alternative solutions and flexibility when interacting with others, understanding their attitudes, needs, interests, and perspectives.
o Inclusiveness: The ability to network, partner with all stakeholders including broad and diverse representation of private/public and traditional/non-traditional community organizations.
o Volunteer Management: Volunteer management experience required.
o Time Management: A firm mastery of time management and organization skills.
o Work Style: Ability to work both independently and in groups, using judgment and discretion. A good team player. Ability to handle multi-level projects and priorities. Able to carry out assignments independently, resolve most conflicts that arise, prioritize multiple tasks, and coordinate work with others. Ability to maintain professional composure and to work cooperatively with the public on a daily basis.
o Mission Driven: Commitment to the mission, values and ethical standards of United Way of Pitt County.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required. One to three years of progressive development or sales experience preferred.
• Experience in non-profit or business management preferred.
• Computer proficiency required. Experience with Donor Software, Word, and Excel is preferred.
▪ Excellent written, oral, presentation, and facilitation skills are required.
▪ Non-profit, strategic planning, grant writing, and supervisory experience preferred.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Dwain Cooper, President firstname.lastname@example.org.