Join us on Saturday, April 10, 2021, as teams construct sculptures made from nonperishable canned or boxed foods and can include other basic need items. Teams will begin construction at 8 a.m. with all displays ready for judging by 11 a.m.
Food and basic needs items from the sculptures will go towards helping people in our Pitt County communities. Items will be distributed to local food pantries and food banks.
In 2020, over 36,000 people in our county were food insecure with over 8,000 of them children.
Start a TEAM from your place of work!
This is a great teambuilding activity that connects employees on a project that will benefit the community.
Host an internal design competition. This can be done virtually with designs submitted and displayed electronically.
Set-up a collection location and encourage employees to donate items needed for the sculpture.
Sculptures will be displayed during
Saturday, April 10th
Sculpture set-up 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Displayed until 2:00 p.m.
Awards presented at 3:00 p.m.
- Build any kind of structure - from the simple to the elaborate!
- Teams may use props, including signage, and supporting materials when building, but structures must be comprised of at least 50% food items and/or basic needs items. A platform is suggested.
- The sculpture must fit within a 10' x 10' space.
- Collected items cannot be painted, taped, or otherwise altered in any way that makes them unsuitable for donation.
- The structure will be set-up on Saturday, April 10 starting at 8 a.m. ready for judging by 11 a.m. It is not necessary for your team to be there the entire day. Team members MUST return by 2 p.m. Saturday to help dismantle the display and remove supporting materials used in your construction.
- Best practices tip! Track and share the following:
- # of volunteers
- # of materials used, e.g. cinder blocks, plywood, tape, etc.
- # of items collected, e.g. 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter
- Other fun facts about the display.
- Register today!
- Gather your most creative team and design your entry.
- Let your employees know what food items and quantities you will need and do a "trial run."
- Have a blast constructing your sculpture!
Most Nutritious: Local ECU student nutritionists will judge sculptures as the most nutritious, based on sodium and sugar counts, organic products, etc.
Small + Mighty Award: Judges will select the best sculpture CANstructed by a small business. (employee size up to 99).
Best in Show: Judges will select the best in show based on the most creative and most food collected.
Most on Brand: Judges will select the most on brand award based on how well a sculpture matches with each company's branding, products, or services.
Community Choice Award: Spectators will cast their ballots between 10 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
NOTE: Organizations are eligible for only one award (with the exception of Community Choice Award).
For more information on how you can get involved, contact Sue Tidd.
Here are more examples of "CAN"tastic designs from United We Can events around the country.